Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Vision Boards and Taking Risks

To kick off the new year, I went to my first Vision Board Party.   My boss is big on vision boards and wanted to host a party so people could create a vision board for the new year.   I loved her idea and thought what a cool way to start off a new year.   Before we got crafting, my boss amongst many of the other attendees who have made vision boards in the past, all vouched on Monday that things on their past vision boards have ended up coming true!   I was blown away and loved hearing each of their stories.


Since the party, many have asked me what is a vision board and why did I make one?  A vision board is simply a visual representation or collage of the things that you want to have, be, or do in your life.  It can be anything like: finding love, losing weight, travel, discover your spirituality, etc.

The real purpose of a vision board is to activate the law of attraction so you can begin to pull things from your external environment that will enable you to realize your dream (deep right?)  By selecting/gathering pictures and words that charges your emotions with feelings of passion, you will begin to manifest those things into your life.



What exactly is the law of attraction? The law of attraction states that we attract into our lives anything that we give attention to, regardless whether it be positive or negative.  (The Law of Attraction. Webring, Inc. 2007. Law of Attraction Info. http://law-of-attraction-info.com)   So by creating a vision board, you are opening a gateway for you to realize what dreams you may subconsciously have deep inside!




With 2012 being a Leap Year.  My boss thought her vision board party would be a great chance for us to all meet Victor Saad of the Leap Year Project.  He is not only an inspiring person but has created the idea of challenging people throughout the country to take a leap in 2012.   A leap being a risk.  A risk of some sort whether it is making something happen in your life (finally asking that guy out, sky-diving, learning how to cook).  Doing something to better your community or the world.   No matter what risk(s) you have been wanting to do or thought about doing, now is the time to do it (and why not now?)  To learn more about #LYProject, watch this video.  I promise you it will inspire you! 


Currently I am still trying to figure out what my Leap Year Project will be for 2012.   There are a lot of things I want to do but are more resolutions than risks.  Once I confirm what my risk will be, I will definitely share it with you.   For now I am looking for motivators and inspiration to help me figure out what my leap should be.

So how do you create a vision board?

Step One: Gather magazines, newspapers, booklets and cut out pictures, words, phrases of things you love.  Don't think about the things you pull out of magazines, newspapers, etc.  Choose images, words that make you catch your eye or attention.  


Step Two: Arrange and paste the images, words, phrases onto paper.  Start arranging your pictures creatively on your board. Don’t worry about being artistic (that’s not the point and I am definitely not artistic). 


Step Three: Put your vision board in a strategic place.  You want your vision board in a place that will allow you to see if everyday and as much as possible. 


Step Four: Update your vision board.  Your vision board should inspire you and if you come across new photos, words or phrases throughout the year, add them to your board.


So here are my challenges for you fellow followers.  Take out magazines, newspapers you have lying around your house and spend a few hours one day and create a vision board for yourself.   Take pictures of your vision board, post them on my blog, share them with me on Twitter and let's see if any of your visions come true within the year.   I will be finishing mine this weekend and will be adding a photo of it to this post.

My other challenge for you is to think of a risk or risks you want to do this Leap Year.  If you think of one, I challenge you to share it on Victor's site and spend this year chasing your idea(s).   What do you have to lose?  Nothing.

Happy collaging and may your visions come true!

Have you ever made a vision board before?   What risk(s) have you ever wanted to take but never driven yourself to actually take them?  I would love to hear from you.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Jess! Thanks for taking the time to write it!!
    Your vision board looks amazing!
    Excited to see what Leap you'll take and the story you'll tell.

    Let me know if you and/or your team ever want to hang again.

    I work from an office right around the corner.

    We'll talk soon!
    Victor

    ReplyDelete