Thursday, March 31, 2011

Cubs Opening Day

Spring has officially started and the weather is slowly becoming warmer.    Chicago is becoming alive again and tomorrow is one of the most exciting day's for Chicago sports fans.   Yes, you may have guessed it.   Cubs Opening Day is tomorrow!!

The Chicago Cubs home opener will take place against the Pittsburgh Pirates .    One thing I love is sports.   Amongst my favorite sports to watch, baseball is one of them.    Every since I moved to Chicago, I have become a big Cubs fan.    I have purchased memorabilia, attended games, and kept tabs on the players.  



One of big tourist attractions for Chicago is to visit Wrigley Field.    For you history junkies out there,  here is some background information about Wrigley Field.    Wrigley Field is nicknamed The Friendly Confines, a phrase popularized by "Mr. Cub", Hall of Famer Ernie Banks.    The current capacity is 41,160, making Wrigley Field the 10th-smallest actively used ballpark. It is the oldest National League ballpark and the second oldest active major league ballpark (after Fenway Park on April 20, 1912), and the only remaining Federal League park.    Wrigley is known for its ivy covered brick outfield wall, the unusual wind patterns off Lake Michigan, the iconic red marquee over the main entrance, and the hand turned scoreboard.     I love the old fashion and unique look of Wrigley Field.    The manual scoreboard and outfield bleachers make this place that much more special. 




Another great aspect of attending a Cubs baseball game at Wrigley Field are the hot dogs.    Being from Grand Rapids, we have a famous hot dog place called Yesterdog.    Should you ever have the opportunity to visit Grand Rapids, I HIGHLY recommend you take the time to experience the ambiance and variety of hot dogs.   I grew up eating these hot dogs and still crave them every time I come home.    However, until recently when I tried my first Vienna Beef hot dog,  my hot dog experience completely changed.    I already cannot wait to attend a game. 

With all the other Cubs fans out there, I know the other big anticipation for tomorrow is to hear the new voice of the Chicago Cubs.   After considering nearly 3,000 applications, the Chicago Cubs announced the hiring of Andrew Belleson as their public address announcer.    Belleson, an Arlington Heights native, performed public address announcer and radio broadcast duties for the Rockford RiverHawks for five years. The Cubs said Belleson grew up idolizing Harry Caray and has attended Cubs games since childhood.




 In celebration of tomorrow, I thought I would end with Harry Caray signing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game."    Enjoy!


Will you be attending Opening Day tomorrow?   What is your most memorable Cubs  game you have been too?    What do you love most about the Wrigley Field experience?  


“I'll tell you what's helped me my entire life. I look at baseball as a game. It's something where people can go out, enjoy and have fun. Nothing more.” Harry Caray

No comments:

Post a Comment