Friday, June 25, 2010

A Sign

Almost every day of my life I am rushing from one place to the next. Always on the go. Some days are more jammed pack than others and I know I bring it upon myself. I try to fit in as much as I can into a day and with the assumption that I will get to everything. Sometimes I succeed, some days I don't.

Today the unthinkable happened. I wanted to fit an errand in during my lunch break because I knew I wouldn't have time otherwise. The day was flying by and it was now or never.  I throw on my sneakers (because I can power-walk faster in them), grab my purse and my to-return item and head to the elevators.

As I ride the elevator down to the transfer floor I wait for the doors to open so I can speed off to the next elevator. The doors open and I get my jump start off the elevator and suddenly, SWERVE............ I barely saved myself from running into two nuns. Yes nuns. They were dressed head to toe in beautiful garments with big iron crosses hanging around their necks. They just looked at me. I suddenly felt my face turning red and I quickly apologized as they were stepping onto the elevator.

It was a sign. I have never seen nuns before in my entire life and two happened to be in my office building on this particular day. Maybe this is a sign that I am always rushing everywhere and need to slow down my life. God works in funny ways and I think this is his way of saying SLOW DOWN JESSICA. I am always rushing, never stopping to "smell the roses." This is a sign  that I will need to remind myself of as frequently as I can.... starting tomorrow.

So starting tomorrow I am going to slow down. I am going to slow my life down and not rush everywhere. If I can't fit everything in, then that is okay. There is always tomorrow. Sometimes we need a sign. Signs give us direction and sometimes help us realize things we may already know deep inside. Maybe we need to almost run into our signs for us to finally get the picture? My sign worked and now it is time for me to do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment