Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Cheers to Love

Last weekend marked a special time for so many people.   Two families became one.   A father gave away his daughter to the man she would spend the rest of her life with.   Friends and family of the bride and groom shared words of love and stories from the past.   Vows and promises were made at the alter, rings were exchanged, and a kiss marked the beginning of their new life.

Brother and Sister

Being a bridesmaid, I had the privilege of being apart of such an important time of Brynna's life.   On the eve of her wedding day, I had the opportunity to say a toast for the couple-to-be.   As I began brainstorming things to say, I found myself having a difficult time finding the perfect words, and she is my cousin for goodness sake!   Knowing 16 other toasts would be said at the rehearsal dinner, I wanted mine to stand out and be unique.

Brynna and Nick
For days I spent writing, deleting, re-writing and searching for inspiration.   After completing my draft, I read my toast to my uncle and cousin to see what they thought, searching for any last minute advise. With a few final tweaks and a thumbs up, my toast was ready.   Later that evening, as I stood in front of everyone holding the mic in my hand, I realized I was the last speaker of the evening.   I immediately felt my nerves begin to surface, but after seeing Brynna's face light up, I knew this meant the world to her so I began my toast.

Brynna and Nick, I am so incredibly happy for the both of you and wish you both a life full of love and good health. 

On behalf of those who could not be here, but are here in spirit for Brynna and Nick.   And for those who are here, I would like to offer these words in honor of their heritage. 

From a Scottish poet- Henry Drummond .... "To LOVE abundantly is to LIVE abundantly, and to LOVE forever is to LIVE forever."

And a Greek proverb .... "To LOVE is nothing. To be LOVED is something. To LOVE and be LOVED is everything." Cheers to LOVE!

Tears filled the eyes of friends and family.   My toast was a success.   So much love was present all weekend.   Glasses were clanked in honor of love, best wishes given to the bride and groom, and photos capturing every moment.

I am so happy for Nick and Brynna.   They have found their companion, that special someone you cannot imagine your life without.   I cannot wait to see what the future has in store for them, and no matter what tough times may come their way, I know that love will always be at the core.   Eventually my time will come to marry the man I deeply love and share my special day with the people I love, but until that day comes, I will continue to cheers to LOVE.

 
"Love is a promise; love is a souvenir, once given never forgotten, never let it disappear." ~ John Lennon

No comments:

Post a Comment