Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Niehaus Baby Shower

A baby girl will soon be entering this world.    Pink, little elephants, and baby supplies fill the room of the soon to be baby Niehaus' nursery.    A couple will soon become a family in March and I could not be more excited. 

My boyfriend's sister is expecting her first child and since I think of her as being the older sister I never had, I wanted to do something special for her.    So to help her prepare for Baby Plum's arrival, I wanted to help plan her baby shower.    This was my first shower and I was eager to take on the challenge.


The name of the baby is not plum just in case you were wondering.   We call her plum because Mama Niehaus won't tell anyone the baby name until she is delivered.    So you are probably where the name came from.   Well, throughout Mama Niehaus's pregnancy, every week she would tell me how big her baby was inside her womb.   She uses The Bumps', pregnancy tool, How Big is Baby?.    One week she was the size of a bean so we called her bean, another week she was an avocado, etc.   By the time she was in week 12 of her pregnancy, her baby was the size of the plum, and we have called her Baby Plum since.    (FYI- I love this pregnancy tool and think it is so clever.)


Okay, back to the baby shower.    The shower was held at the Magnificent Mile Marriott Hotel in Downtown Chicago in their Club Lounge.    It is a beautiful venue space and the catering staff was incredible.    From the delicious food, to the catering manager's attention to detail and responsive wait staff during the shower, the event was flawless.  

Marriott Club Lounge Photos




For the baby shower party favor we gave the guests oreo's hand-dipped in chocolate and topped with a baby girl sugar decoration on the center.   They were delicious and were a big success.   The party favors were made by Graham's Fine Chocolate located in Geneva, Illinois.    I highly recommend this place for party and event favors.   I especially like their wedding chocolate favors, some of them are really unique. 



For the main desert, we ordered a personalized cake through Tipsy Cakes.   While the cake looked beautiful, they unfortunately made the cake the wrong flavor and were not very accommodating in allowing us to design our own cake.    I would not recommend them if you want to design your own- they prefer to do the designing themselves.


For the baby shower activity, we had onesies available for guests to decorate for Baby Plum.   Thanks to an ironing board, an iron and Hobby Lobby, we had all the necessary materials to get crafty!    We decorated with Crayola Fabric Pens and Baby Epoxy Stickers- people got really creative and made some amazing onesies.   After Mama Niehaus opened all of her gifts, she chose her top four onesies to give them a prize- a great way to get guests motivated to decorate. :)





This was my first baby shower I have ever planned and I had a blast.   Events are my passion and it was so fun planning a different kind of event, especially for someone I care about.    I cannot WAIT to meet Baby Plum and her grand entrance is weeks away.    I truly am ecstatic for Mama Niehaus and I know that she is going to be an amazing mom.     Plum is about to enter a world of people who already love her and are eager to be apart of her life.

Have you ever planned a baby shower before?   What is a fun activity you have done at a shower?   What party favors have you received from a baby shower?  I would love to hear your thoughts....


"A new baby is like the beginning of all things - wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities." ~ Eda J. Le Shan

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for."  ~ Author Unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment