Saturday, December 25, 2010

Holiday Cheer

The most wonderful time of the year has finally arrived.   Family and loved ones come together to reminisce about the past.   Wrapped presents are opened and special holiday foods are eaten.   Christmas music playing throughout the day and into the evening inside homes that are decorated with holiday decor.    The holiday cheer is everywhere and impossible to miss.   I have so much to be thankful in my life and Christmas is a time where I really reflect on the past year and year after year I have so much to be thankful for.



This Christmas has been simply wonderful and I already find myself growing sad.   The holiday I look forward to the most each year has once again come and will be gone tomorrow.    I wish Christmas Eve and Christmas day did not fly by as quickly as they do but I am grateful to have amazing friends and family in my life.

Christmas Eve morning I helped my mother prepare my grandmother's famous scones for the first time.   It is a tradition at my house to eat scones on Christmas morning and I was so excited to finally learn how to make them.   Rhoda's Scottish scones represent home and my childhood and most importantly her.   Making them especially for the holidays is our way of keeping her spirit alive.   There is some what of an art when you make scones and making it with my mother, Rhoda's youngest daughter was truly special.   It was the real act of a generation passing onto the next generation a family recipe that I will then pass onto my children when that day comes.   This was a priceless moment that I will never forget.

Scottish Scones

The Christmas tree is decorated with ornaments that represent places we have visited, creations me and my siblings have made over the years, in addition to ornaments that hold other sentimental value.   There is something magical about being home in your childhood home.   Waking up in your room where you use to wait anxiously for Santa to come down your chimney Christmas Eve.   So many memories in my house and every year more are formed.   This is still one of my favorite parts about Christmas, feeling the excitement and anticipation for Christmas morning.

Now that my Santa days are over, I find joy out of seeing my family and friends open their presents from me.    Sharing stories, laughs and reminiscing is what I love about the holidays.   Part of Christmas is spending time with the people you love and I am blessed to have the opportunity to spend every Christmas with my family, Grandma, cousins and aunts and uncles.   Life without family would feel empty and I am forever grateful to have such amazing people to share my life and special occasions with.

As I eat my bundt cake, scones, and spend time with my family, I am going to pass on my holiday cheer to anyone and everyone.   It truly is the most wonderful time of the year.   Thank you family, friends and my boyfriend for making my life full of cheer and joy.    I love you.

Bundt Cake

What makes your holiday so special?   What gives you the holiday cheer?   I hope you had an amazing holiday with the people you love.  

“There's more, much more, to Christmas Than candlelight and cheer; It's the spirit of sweet friendship That brightens all year. It's thoughtfulness and kindness, It's hope reborn again, For peace, for understanding, And for goodwill to men!” ~ Unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment