Thursday, November 18, 2010

Tighten Up- Why Women Should Lift Weights

Today, more and more women are beginning to exercise with weights.  Typically when I think of  weight lifting, I tend to picture steroid-raged men who drink muscle milk in between sets.  These men tend to "dominate" the weight machines at my gym which makes me incredibly intimidated and discouraged from stepping in line to use the machines.  Who cares if I can only lift 30 to 50 ibs. and may only want to do 2 or 3 sets. 


I am tired of sweating (great article on how to help minimize sweating) all over every piece of cardio equipment at the gym and still getting zero love from the scale!  I need to tone and firm up!  When I played sports in High School, my volleyball coach and diving coach made us lift weights three times a week in addition to cardio at practices.  I knew it helped make my muscles stronger but I did not realize how much it helped reduce your overall body fat.   Instead of going to the gym to do my usual elliptical machine, treadmill, and bike, I try to incorporate lifting into my workout regimen (when I have time to go of course).   Sometimes I will do a few machines but nothing major.   I want to prevent and stop cellulite, I want to keep everything toned but I am going to have to work for it.


I found this awesome article on everything you need to know about weight lifting and I am going to start weight lifting the RIGHT way starting this weekend.   Everything You Need to Know About Weight Training article by Shape Magazine.   Now for the inspiration and motivation.  The holiday season is here and that means carbs and sweets.  My two WORST enemies but it is a love hate relationship.  They are always plentiful during the holiday season so I need to be mindful of portions and be willing to kick my butt extra hard (or lift it off).   Tomorrow I am going to make my "Lift" playlist that will help me stay motivated while working out.

 Lift Playlist:
1. Hilary Duff -- Come Clean
2. Eminem- Lose Yourself

3. Black Eyed Peas- Pump It
4. Feel Good Inc. - Gorillaz
5. What Goes Around Comes Around – Justin Timberlake
6. Like a Boy- Ciara 
7.  Maneater – Nelly Furtado
8. Give It To Me – Timbaland 
9.  Fighter- Christina Aguilera
10. Yeah- by Usher ft. Ludacris & Lil' Jon
11. Toxic- Britney Spears
12.  Call on Me- Eric Pyrdz 



I am already excited to work on my "troubled" areas- ex. legs, butt, abs, back and I can't wait to see results.  I know that I am going to have to start off light and slow but eventually I will build stamina.


So here I come muscle men, step aside because this chick is about to get TONED!   Do you lift?  What is your lifting routine?   How to keep yourself motivated to not do just cardio?

No comments:

Post a Comment