Friday, April 16, 2010

Wish List

We all have things we want in this world. Things we think will make our lives that much better and make us happy. To keep track of the things we desire or want, we tend to write them down in a list. Lucky for me I love making lists. I make check lists for everything: my to-do’s at work, grocery & errands lists, personal reminder’s in my phone, Christmas gift shopping lists, and of course, my very own wish list.

Growing up every year I had one time of the year where I was able to make my list for Santa and for my birthday. Having my birthday the day after Christmas, I needed to be planning and thinking about what I wanted all year round. Like most girls, commercials, movies and friends influenced me on what I would like and dislike. Being an adult now the things on my wish list are not filled with cool clothes from Abercrombie & Fitch, Disney movies, CD’s, or Barbie doll accessories anymore, instead my lists consist of bigger things.

Seeing other girls here in the city, I find myself being envious of the clothes they wear, the cars they drive, their perfect manicured nails, and their gorgeous figures. As I start to compare my list to theirs, I start thinking to myself how are they so lucky? My list does not even compare to theirs!! In moments of disparity, I remind myself that comparing will not make me any happier. And sometimes it isn't worth it to get all worked up over things I have no control over. I can only control myself. Or in my mother’s words, “Don’t get your panties all in a bunch and have a glass of wine.” As silly as her motto sounds, there is truth behind it and advice to take.

We all have things we want: the perfect job, a boyfriend/girlfriend, a family, a glamorous apartment, a nice luxury car, our dream wardrobe, you name it. My wish list at this point in my life is to have my ideal job as an event planner, live in a high-res apartment/ condo on lake shore drive, travel around Europe, drive a black Range Rover, have a dynamite figure (all the while being able to eat whenever and whatever I want- wishful thinking), and not live paycheck for paycheck.

Some of you may have wishes just like mine and are thinking these wishes aren’t outrageous and unachievable Jess. And you are right. We have our whole lives to write, edit, re-write and (crossing-fingers) cross off items on our list. I know I may never achieve every wish on my list, but my list helps me stay motivated and driven.

If you knew you would always get what you wanted, would that make you happier? If our wants would be met just by asking someone, would you still be motivated? If I never had anything to work towards or push myself to do I would not be happier. I would miss the satisfaction in making a goal and achieving it. I need to accept the good things that come to me and NOT focus on the things I have not crossed off on my list. All I can do is to keep on dreaming and take my wish list with me along the way.

“Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.” – Gail Devers.

No comments:

Post a Comment