Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Million Dollar Quartet Date Night

Last night was date night for me and my man and was a well deserved night off.    After spending the past three weeks packing, moving and unpacking, I was excited to finally have a night off.  

Since I moved to Chicago, I have been wanting to see the Million Dollar Quartet show.    As a pre-moving reward, I purchased tickets to the show on Groupon (thank you Groupon!) and last night I finally saw it!



The show is playing at the Apollo Theater in Lincoln Park.   The show is about the famed 1956 recording session that brought together legendary rock ‘n’ roll icons Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins and Elvis Presley.    How can you NOT love these men and their songs?    Of course Johnny and Elvis are my favorite of the four but after last night's show, my love for all of them grew.   


Million Dollar Quartet show is about the night, all four-legends reunited for one cold winter night for the only time in their careers for an impromptu recording that has come to be known as one of the greatest rock 'n' roll jam sessions of all time.    The gathering was made possible because of Sam Phillips, the "Father of Rock 'n' Roll," aka the man who discovered each one of them.    The jam session took place on December 4, 1956 in Sun Records', Sam's storefront studio in Memphis, TN is where the magic happened!  

The stage set-up in Apollo Theater is an intimate setting with seats surrounding the stage in a horseshoe shape.   From the setting, to the dance moves and the voices of the performers, makes the perfect mix for one rocking show- literally.    The show has all of the classics and top chart songs for each artist, leaving you with no regrets.    




It was by far a night to remember and a show I didn't want to end.   The grand finale is incredible and I won't even try to describe it.   Words wouldn't do justice, you will just have to see it for yourself.  


Seeing this show is something I will never forget and I am so glad I was able to experience it with someone special.    That is one of the greatest things about having someone special in your life.   You get to experience new and exciting things like this, and I know that there will be many more fun moments to come. 


The Original Million Dollar Quartet


"Rock and roll music, if you like it, if you feel it, you can't help but move to it. That's what happens to me. I can't help it."  ~ Elvis Presley

No comments:

Post a Comment