Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Under the Weather

Achy body, feeling of exhaustion, scratchy throat, all signs of becoming sick.    My long three day weekend was originally jam packed with plans.   Plans to see an old friend, visiting with my mom, aunt and cousin, see a museum, attend to some chores and go to a board meeting.    Instead I spent majority of my weekend sleeping and resting.      

When I am feeling sick, I tend to be stubborn and think I am not as sick as I really am.    Taking it "easy" is not something I am really good at nor willing to do most of the time.    I try to still do things that I was planning on doing rather than focusing solely on resting and getting better.    So now, my fourth day into my sick symptoms, I am feeling worse than I did on Friday.   

So what helps me to get better and back to my normal self?   I rarely ever get sick but when I do, I try to kick the sickness away as fast as I can.   Here are some things I do when I am sick.

1.  Eat a lot of clementines.  They are full of Vitamin C and delicious.  

 2.  Drink fluids.   Drink cold  water and hot tea.  My favorite brand of tea is Celestial Seasonings and they have over 90 different flavors.   My favorite flavors especially when I am sick are Chamomile, Sleepytime, and Echinacea.  

3.   Eat soup with some butter toast.    My favorite brand of soup is Progresso.   I love their chicken noodle,  creamy tomato basil and chicken and herb dumplings. 

Progresso- Light Chicken Noodle Soup

4.  Take long hot showers.    The steam from a shower can really help clear your nose and chest.

5.  Take medicine.   Taking DayQuil, NightQuil and vitamins really help you feel better faster.

5.  Watch movies.    There is nothing better than sitting curled up on a sofa watching a movie with a warm blanket over you while sipping on hot tea.    Some of my favorite movies to watch when I am sick are, Finding NemoA Walk in the Clouds;  The Princess Bride;  My Best Friends Wedding;  and of course Ferris Bueller's Day Of.


6.  Last but not least- Sleep.    Sleep as frequently and for as long as you can.   Sometime I make myself crawl back into bed because I don't realize I am tired when I am on a sofa.   Sleep without setting an alarm is key as well so that your body wakes itself up.



 What do you do when you are feeling under the weather?    What are your drinks to getting better?   What is your favorite thing to do when you are sick? 

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then to rest afterward."  ~Spanish Proverb


No comments:

Post a Comment