Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fight for a Cure

When you think of the month of October what words automatically come to mind? For me, October means Halloween, Fall, Autumn, colorful leaves, pumpkins, football games, Carmel apples, sweaters and fleeces. For others, the month of October has another meaning especially to women. October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month where people all over the world help spread awareness and get involved. Cancer touches all of us in some way- whether it is a neighbor, a friend, a family member, a colleague or an acquaintance, and it is up to us to join in the fight for others. 

The other day I was at Caribou coffee buying my latte when the cashier asked me if I would like to answer today's trivia question to get .10 cents off of my order. The trivia question was "For 1 woman, out of how many women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime?" I answered 1 out of 8- I was correct. That statistic hit me loud and clear. Did you know that breast cancer is the second leading killer of women around the globe? and that every 69 seconds somewhere in the world a women dies from breast cancer? Caribou coffee is offering the chance for you to purchase Amy's Blend coffee, tea, or merchandise, and 10 % of the sale price will be donated to Susan G. Komen for the Cure. After hearing the statistic I immediately wanted to make a contribution to Amy's Story, so I donated a pound of coffee in honor of my best friend Erin's mom who is a survivor of Breast Cancer.  

Susan G. Komen Foundation  and Avon Foundation for Women encourage you to be Pink. As I was catching up on my breast cancer facts, I found so many ways you can get involved. I even came across a section for PINK Recipes and I am already planning on making this dessert recipe: Double Chocolate Crispy Treats to support the cause. So many grocery items and products are supporting these foundations and purchasing their items is just one more way you can give back.


With one week already into October, I challenge you to find a way you can contribute to this cause; whether is it buying food or items that are sponsoring these foundations; donating half a bag of coffee at Caribou, or participating in one of their races/events in a city near you. Whatever it is that you do, know that you are helping make a difference in the fight against breast cancer because you never know when cancer could touch your life. 

How do you plan to help? What have you done already to support Breast Cancer Awareness month? I would love to hear about it.


"My cancer scare changed my life. I'm grateful for every new, healthy day I have. It has helped me prioritize my life." ~Olivia Newton John

No comments:

Post a Comment