Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Remember Me

Gandhi said that "whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it." These were the opening words spoken by Robert Pattinson in the drama movie, "Remember Me." Watching this movie changed my perspective on life and is a film that truly "moves" you.

Sometimes we are so focused on ourselves and how to make our life better, we forget that life isn't all about you. We grow up  in a society where we focus on egotistical things like, how can I become richer, skinner, get the promotion I want and deserve? I am guilty of wanting all of these things and lately I seem to focus on them more than ever. My aspirations and dreams feed my heart but it is the people who fill our souls.

"Remember Me" is a romantic drama centered on two young new lovers: Tyler, whose parents have split in the wake of his brother's suicide, and Ally, who lives each day to the fullest since witnessing her mother's murder.When a bet brings Tyler and Ally together, their lives and emotions soon become intertwined with love. Through their losses they connect on a level deeper than either one of them imagined.


When I think about what I have done in my life I tend to give myself little credit. I focus on what I haven't done yet rather than have done. Working for a nonprofit, I have the privilege to do good for others everyday. This month marks my two year anniversary at my job and I could not be more thankful. My work contributes to improving the lives of underprivileged children so they can have the best chance in life. This movie reminded me that a life can be over in a blink of an eye and it is important to make the most of it.

One thing I hope to accomplish in my lifetime is to touch as many lives as I can. I want to help make life that much better for my friends, my family, and for others. I love making people happy and yearn to make a difference in any way I can. Every day is a gift; a chance to do something for someone else. Making someone smile is one of the greatest acts and you can never not smile enough. Through acts of charity and good, lives can be changed. I don't want my name on a plaque, or win an award, I just want to be remembered.  I want to know that when my day comes, I will be able to look back and smile on all the things I did and have loved ones there celebrating my life. 

"We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee." ~ Marian Wright Edelman

No comments:

Post a Comment