Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Charitable Chick Defined

Did you ever read the book “The Giving Tree” by Shel Silverstein?   The Giving Tree is a tale about a relationship between a young boy and a tree in a forest.   The tree always provides the boy with what he wants: branches on which to swing, shade in which to sit, apples to eat, branches with which to build a home.   It took until the boy grew old to realize how much he loved and needed the tree.   "The Giving Tree" was my all-time favorite children's book growing up.   I always had compassion for that tree- the tree that kept giving, until it could no longer give.   It gave until there was nothing left leaving only a stump of a once great giver remaining…


My life in, some/many ways, portrays that very tree.

My name is Jessica. Jessica means “God’s Grace” and “God is watching.”   When you are born with a name, I believe you grow to live up to your name- it is our destiny.   I am the woman I am today because of my experiences and the people who have come and gone into my life.


I am a philanthropic girl who is always on the go. I am a volleyball player, a gym guru, and a dancing queen.   I am a doted daughter, an older sister, and a loving granddaughter.   I am a devoted girlfriend and friend and an ambitious employee.   My vivacious personality and compassion for others define who I am.

I am all of these things, but I will never be chopped down.   I will become more.   Unlike the “Giving Tree,” I will continue to grow.   This is my un-defined story of How “The Charitable Chick” keeps on giving and finds balance.


You give but little when you give of your possessions.   It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.”- Kahlil Gibran

No comments:

Post a Comment